I live in Ottawa, Ontario
This page best viewed with:
What I do:
Real time/systems programmer. I love writing device drivers. I have
written linkers, modified assemblers. Modified a real time
commercial single processor multi-tasking kernel into a message
passing multi-processor multi-tasking kernel for 68k's, before VRTX
came out etc. Lots of embedded stuff, micro processor work. I have
worked on the BSD/OS kernel chiefly on the powerpc port
(Yes, I worked for BSDi), I have
dabbled with the FreeBSD kernel. I have
done 808x assembler, powerpc, I can now read sparc asm, Coldfire (Really
just a RISCy version of 68k), I have done asm for 6502/680x (6800,6803,6809)
including writing my own DOS for 6502. I get easily confused between
instruction sets now when I am not doing work on a specific one that is. ;-)
I have also done unix system admin as needed. I have worked chiefly on
SUNos, some solaris, HPUX, freebsd,bsd/os systems, linux, and
ancient SYSV (Anyone remember the Cadmus?). I've done sendmail,
dns, innd, bnews/cnews, procmail, ircd you name it...
For my resume, You'll now have to ask me for it. Too many trolls
on the modern internet.
I have been known to do a tiny bit of work on IRCD.
I am an amateur radio operator, callsign VA3DB
I am a musician.
- people who send me email in mime format.
- people who send me email in html format.
- people who send me email in mimed html format.
- animated gifs in web pages
- java script in web pages for no good reason
- slow cgi scripts in web pages
- dead links in html pages (which is why I have finally cleaned
up my page!)
- web pages with huge graphics that take 15 minutes to load over
a 28.8 modem
- web pages with bizarre backgrounds that you cannot read the
- Have I mentioned animated gifs yet? Esp. those "send me email
ones" oh ya, those pulsating heart ones.
- Anything thats not HTML, flash etc.
- Oh yeah, those annoying background songs midis. If I wanted
music while surfing, I'll be playing my own stuff thank you.
- I originally said here "I despise CSS. If you want pretty
pages, use postscript or dvi dammit." After talking to a few very
knowledable web designers, I have been convinced of the error of my
ways. See, I do change my mind! What I am really despising is the
efforts of some web designers to lose track of the purpose of web
pages, which is to serve information in the most basic form first,
then worry about making it look "pretty." At least with CSS there
is some hope to rationalise this mess. The important information is
there, if you want it to look pretty, you can render the CSS
More about bad web pages